MOST RECENTLY IN THE NEWS:
- San Francisco Chronicle: To fix San Francisco, moderate group wants voters to add to mayor’s power, December 4, 2023
- KCBS (podcast): https://www.audacy.com/podcast/kcbs-radio-on-demand-011f4/episodes/how-san-francisco-should-streamline-its-governance-1155b, August 22, 2023
- NBC Bay Area: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-francisco/san-francisco-mayor-power-commission-report/3301444/, aired August 22, 2023
- City Hall is failing’: New report says San Francisco is broken, offers roadmap to fix it, St. John Marned-Smith, J.D. Morris, San Francisco Chronicle, updated August 22, 2023
- Does San Francisco’s Mayor Need More Power? This Group Says Yes, Josh Koehn, The San Francisco Standard, August 22, 2023
- TogetherSF Action blog: https://tsfaction.org/blog/city-hall-digest-8-21-23
- Californians are pouring into Nevada. Not everyone is happy about it. , Noah Bierman, Don Lee, LA Times, February 9, 2023.
- “3 of Texas’ largest cities among least expensive to do business in: survey,” KDAF, Dallas, TX, Dec. 19, 2022
- ABC Big 2 News/KMID in Odessa, TX(the Texas Business Report segment also ran on Good Day Lubbock/KJTV in Lubbock, TX, and The Morning Loop on CBS19 News in Tyler, TX), Dec. 20, 2022
- “Two DFW cities listed among the least expensive for doing business, study shows,” Davie Ngyuen, Dallas Business Journal, Dec. 20, 2022.
- “The high cost of ‘doing business’ is causing companies to flee California, survey shows,”Iman Palm, KTLA 5, Dec. 22, 2022.
- “Yucaipa, an inexpensive city to do business,”James Folmer, Yucaipa/Calimesa News Mirror, Dec. 22, 2022.
- “Residents aren’t only ones leaving California,“Opinion, Antelope Valley Press, Dec. 27, 2022.
- “Why firms pick up stakes from our costly state,”The Editorial Board, Southern California News Group, Dec. 29, 2022.
- “Adelanto 2023: New hotels, solar projects, travel center, homes and more,”Rene Ray De La Cruz, Victorville
- “Reno 3rd most popular city for companies leaving California,“Jason Hidalgo, Reno Gazette Journal, Jan. 6, 2022.
- “Culver City Tops List of Most Expensive Cities for Business,”Howard Fine, Los Angeles Business Journal, Jan. 9, 2022.
- 3+ minute TV broadcast on the Rynor Report via ABC (this ran on KXTV during the 6 p.m. hour on Dec. 23, 2022 [after ABC World News Tonight With David Muir] and the 6 a.m. hour on Dec. 24, 2022; and KFMB during the 5 a.m. hour on Dec. 26, 2022)
FiveThirtyEight 11/15/2022: Why Trump Is Favored to Win The 2024 Republican Presidential Primary: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-2024-president/
Los Angeles Times 04/22/2022: Goodbye, L.A. and San Francisco. Hello, Riverside and Central Valley. California moves: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-04-27/california-los-angeles-san-francisco-population-decline (or view in PDF)
CMC Currents 09/29/2021: Rose Institute gauges voter attitudes | Claremont McKenna College (cmc.edu)
KPCC Air-Talk with Larry Mantle 09/21/2021 Title: The Politics of California and New York…: https://www.kpcc.org/show/airtalk/2021-09-21/congressman-adam-schiff-introduces-bill-to-curb-presidential-abuses-of-power
Real Clear Policy 08/16/2021: New Evidence Confirms Widespread Support for the Death Penalty
Le Monde 02/01/2021: [Le Monde] Interviews with Professor Ken Miller | Texas | Californie (scribd.com)
Orange County Register: Local district elections open doors for minorities in Orange County cities
KPCC / NPR (public radio): https://laist.com/latest/post/20200723/california-2020-census-redistricting-49th-district
Orange County Register: https://www.ocregister.com/2020/07/08/study-in-a-first-california-poised-to-lose-house-seats/
Inland Valley Daily Bulletin: https://www.dailybulletin.com/2020/07/16/three-california-crises-spawn-a-fourth/
Orange County Register: https://www.ocregister.com/2020/07/16/three-california-crises-spawn-a-fourth/
Los Angeles Daily News: https://www.dailynews.com/2020/07/16/three-california-crises-spawn-a-fourth/
- LA Could Lose A Congressional Seat — Here’s Why | LAis| April 27, 2020
- California on track to lose at least one congressional seat after 2020 Census | The Sacramento Bee, May 13, 2019
- LA has the Most to Lose in Census Undercount, Study Finds | Siliconeer, April 29, 2019
- Census 2020: Los Angeles County’s loss could be the Inland Empire’s gain in 2021 redistricting | The Press-Enterprise, April 22, 2019
- Judge ‘miffed’ lawmakers hired expert to criticize special master rather than help |The Progressive Post, January 5, 2018
- Republican redistricting is taking a beating in the courts right now | The Washington Post | January 28, 2017
- C-Span Interview on California Redistricting History and Process | October 1991
- District Elections are Growing But Most Cities in High Desert Stay At-Large (July 21, 2018)
California Voting Rights Act
October 12 2020 | Orange County Register | https://www.ocregister.com/2020/10/12/local-district-elections-open-doors-for-minorities-in-orange-county-cities/
August 26, 2018 | CALMatters |https://calmatters.org/articles/commentary/a-low-profile-revolution-changes-local-governments/
July 23,2017 | Mercury News
“Following claims that its at-large election system excludes Latino voters, the city of Morgan Hill will soon hold by-district elections.”
July 20, 2017 | Coastal View
“According to the Rose Institute in Claremont, more than 30 California cities have implemented district elections in recent years.”
February 2017 | Western City | http://www.westerncity.com/Western-City/February-2017/California-Voting-Rights-Act-Reform-Spurs-Collaboration/
December 9, 2016 | 89.3 KPCC
“More than 200 jurisdictions in California, mostly cities and school districts, have adopted by-district voting in recent years, according to the Rose Institute of State and Local Government at Claremont McKenna College. Most of them have been pressured, and in some cases forced, to do so by Latino advocacy groups and private lawyers wielding the California Voting Rights Act, or CVRA.”
November 16, 2016 | PublicCEO | http://www.publicceo.com/2016/11/california-voters-approve-changes-in-local-government-and-elect-more-latinos-to-city-councils/
SoCal Connected on CD31 election
Al Jazeera America “Committees Gone Wild”
Kosmont-Rose Institute Cost of Doing Business
- 2016-2017 Survey
- 2015-2016 Survey
Rose in the Movies
- Fellow Douglas Johnson was interviewed (at the 5:01 minute mark) and students made a lot of maps for the 2008 Gerrymandering documentary: http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/gerrymandering
- In a big project, we made maps for the documentary about gangs in Los Angeles, called “Made in America”: http://documentaryheaven.com/crisps-and-bloods-made-in-america/. The map of the crisps and bloods territory appears, after considerable work by their graphic artists, briefly at the 3:30 minute mark and then in much more detail at the 32:20 minute mark, and there is a thanks to the Rose Institute in the closing credits.